These are my thoughts on the initial designs, combined with what we've seen so far in exploration. The questions suggest what is most unresolved in my mind...if there are questions you think I should be asking that I'm not, let me know. Also, what I say I like in the designs is subject to change if you have any better ideas. But we'll go with those things if nothing else comes up.
Pap`a:
Bullish neck, strong nose, barrel chest and large forearms all suggest his aggressively protective personality. Also, those elements combined with his hairy chest make him a very manly-man. That juxtaposed against his flowing angel robes emphasize how uncomfortable he is in his new role. He's used to using his imposing presence to protect his daughter...but not anymore. To me, the fact he's balding and has a mustache gives him some fatherly warmth (maybe that's just because that's how my dad looks). The bald head and bags under his eyes suggest a man who worries about his daughter. His eyes above all should show us his soul - the tenderness he has for his daughter, years of concern for her welfare, and deep love. Beneath all his gruffness, he really is a big softy.
Questions - He makes Mindy laugh. Can we incorporate a little more jolliness in his design? How does he look when he smiles?
Mindy:
Elegance and sweetness. Longer neck and sloped shoulders capture that, I think. Wide eyes and round cheeks (baby-face) suggest innocence and sweetness. Her longer torso ties her to her father, in contrast to (Steve?)'s longer legs. I feel the most potential for an iconic quirk will be in her smile.
Questions - After exploration, I think she just needs to be pretty. Call me lame. How can we maintain that but get some iconic quirks? How bubbly vs reserved is she? How does she smile, how does she laugh? How European should we make her look? How much can we mess with body proportions (but maintain the feeling of a delicate, sweet girl her father wants to protect...I'm prone to say keep her slender)?
Steve (Formerly):
Long legs, short torso, short chin. He's overcoming a lack of confidence. (Maybe not as short of a torso as I've drawn...). Large nose says he's kind of goofy. Gentle eyes. His clothes and hair have a hint of hipster...he has pretty decent style, but emphasizing his quirk. He's not a jock. I drew his head too big.
Questions - How can we facilitate his transformation from lack of confidence to confidence in the design? How un-confident does he act? How does he make Mindy laugh/become more endeared to him? Is there another solution besides the large nose? Is innocence a good word to describe him?
In all designs: I'm leaning towards Disney/Milt Kahl style (with some of Annette Marnat's organic soft-shapes). We'll probably go with that unless someone comes up with genius idea to combine in more exaggerated shapes into the mix. (Cloudy, Julien Bizat, some Pixar films, etc.). I'll work on it too, but so far I haven't come up with a solution that doesn't kill the subtle charm of the characters. Maybe look at the background reference for shape-language ideas too.


No comments:
Post a Comment